Thursday, May 21, 2009

I do goofy things...


Often when someone asks me why I do something my answer if usually "Because I can". This is one of those things. Why did I make this? I don't have a cute little girl who would/could use it, but I just wanted to make something adorable and completely fun, so I did.

So often I have completely wacked ideas, and have to let some of them go because of time, energy or lack of supplies. But once in a while the stars align and my thoughts actually turn out the way I pictured them, that makes me so happy!
This was a Nestle Quik container, and it stills smells really good inside!! I loved the shape of it, so it seemed like the perfect object for alteration and re-using!
The process is called image transfer. I used a 12 x 12 sheet of Claudine Hellmuth's sticky back canvas and coated it with a layer of matte gel medium. Then the sheet of Basic Grey was layed over the top and brayered to make sure that there were no air bubbles to interupt the image. I let it dry for a day, got the back of the paper moist and then carefully peeled and scrubbed all of the paper pulp off with my fingers. A light coat of the gel medium covers all the little fuzzies that are left behind and make it a pretty resistant surface that can take a beating! The great thing about the sticky back canvas is that I didn't have to worry about what kind of adhesive to use to on the plastic surface of the container. I drilled some holes and put ribbon through, and now it is a cute little hand bag for a tough little lady that wants to carry all her precious little items with her! I will definitely be making more of this type of project from more of those containers, we love our chocolate milk here!
B-

2 comments:

Houston said...

I LOVE IT! Gotta run out and get me some Nestle Quick!
Oh and please check my blog I left something for you ;)

celester said...

i LOVE this project. and i especially love that you recycled old packaging to create it. you're so hip and "green"! melts my heart.