Saturday, September 10, 2011

9.10.11

I love numerical coincidences! I am not good at finding them or seeing them for myself, my brain is a little too big picture to recognize or identify them, but when they are pointed out I enjoy them so much! I feel very lucky to have a few of the small picture/detail brained people in my home so they are very patient and kind in pointing out these lovely moments for me.

This is one of those "lucky to be me" kind of days too, I have been watching the US Open tennis tournament cheering and talking to the tv because it has been so exciting, cruising through itunes and using the gift card Laurel gave me for Mom's Day to purchase the Maroon 5 album (I have had "Moves Like Jagger" stuck in my head!!) and doing a little crafting (very little, the other distractions are so FAB!!) I really need to run to the office store to buy some ink for my printer, I have a few layouts on my desk that are waiting for pics, but I need to feed the printer so it will be willing to spit those out for me  ;o)

Over at the Hambly blog, I shared a tutorial on weaving washi tape. It is a really fun technique, and not that hard.


















I won't be blogging tomorrow, but I wanted to share a memory from 9/11/01 in remembrance of the ten years that have passed since that tragic day.
I was a chaperon at my sons 6th grade camp and it was the day we took them out on their long hike through the beautiful Wasatch Mountain range. It was a beautiful day and the kids were behaving well for typical 12 year olds. We stopped on top of one of the ridges that offered a spectacular view and marveled at the beauty.    While we were doing this huge swarms of ladybugs moved through the air and landed on all of us, as well as the trees, bushes and ground. Having hiked a lot and spending a lot of time outside and never seeing anything like this before I was in amazement, it was one of the most surreal experiences I have ever had in my life, and the other adults in the group made similar remarks. We continued on our way and dropped into camp a couple of hours later, exhausted and ready for some quiet time with the kids in the late afternoon. As soon as we arrived one of the teachers who had stayed behind pulled all of the adults aside and informed us of what had been happening through the day. They were left with the decision of how to handle it with the kids, and whether they should even tell them or not. We ended up out at the big campfire ring telling the children about the events and then having a somber dinner and packing up the next morning and heading home.
Watching all of the news and reviews of the previous days events when we got home was so overwhelming. I couldn't understand how something so awful could happen and how so many lives could be lost in such a few short moments. Ten years later, the loss is still mind boggling and we are left with the question of how much did this change the path of America.
My take away from the event is to live life to the fullest each day, and to live that life generously, kindly and with forgiveness, no one knows what the next day may bring.

B-

No comments: