Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Scrawny Johnny...

I have the coolest Grandpa! He is my only one with us right now, but I am pretty sure that the others are keeping an eye on things down here. John Baggs is one of those guys that has always lead by example. He can chat with the best of them, but while he is visiting, he is always moving, always. He never would just sit back in the evening and watch tv, nope those hands had things they could still be doing. And I have quite a few of those reminders in my life, one of the most obvious day in and out is the covered dry cleaner hangers that he re-purposed by wrapping a couple of them together with yarn. Seriously the best hangers ever. He also dried pounds and pounds of fruit and would spend the evenings prepping them to get to the dryer. His garden always abounded with fruit, vegetables and herbs that he would deliver to neighbors who would use them or that he might have noticed a need in his quiet way. He spent hours providing service to his neighbors in many ways, and the only way my mom could ever get he and Grandma to come visit us in Oregon would be to find some large home improvement project that she "had" to have help with. His nickname from years in the armed service was Scrawny Johnny. All the guys loved him because he could out work and out play all of them and he was usually the shortest and thinnest of the bunch. He can eat his weight anyday of the week and not gain an ounce, I obviously did not inherit that trait, LOL! He never judged anyone, and he didn't take any guff from anyone. Tough with a heart of gold.
I wish that I could have spent more time with him growing up, but even though it was just a few golden days ever summer, the moments are precious. I think much of who I am and why has come from this wonderful guy and the fantastic family that he and his beloved wife brought up. He has three boys and four daughters. Those daughters are thick as thieves, they don't have to find trouble, it is pre-programmed in all of their cell phones. They are the shine in his eyes, and they adore and spoil him rotten, as it should be. They are family and when they all get together the husbands have nick-named it a Bagg-a-thon. It really does go for hours and hours with no end in sight, but the food is always delish and when it does eventually end you have a side ache from laughing so hard and enjoying their delightful company. So for those of you who know me too well, this probably explains alot about how I tick. I have a problem holding still, and please don't ever tell me that I can't do something, that is the quickest way to ensure that I promptly do it (just like my mom, LOL!)
I can't just sit and watch tv, I feel like I could be getting something done, so I crochet. Nothing fancy, just row after row of the same stitch. The colors sometimes change as the projects get finished and started, but the simplicity of my effort is always consistent. Do the best you can, with what you have, everyday.
And I have him to thank him for that gift.

B-




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a nice tribute to your grandpa! I sure miss mine....
~Heather